Tuesday, May 20, 2014

No Mess Letterpress Coasters

Learning how to letterpress at home has been one of my favorite new techniques this past year, but it isn’t always a quick process. Especially when it comes to changing colors. If you've ever experimented with letterpress, you know cleaning everything up usually means things get messier before they get cleaner.

When I saw these letterpress coasters, my wheels started turning. How cute would it be to make some party coasters for the summer? Then I spied this confetti letterpress plate. Perfect! I intended to make a set of coasters in multiple colors but did not want to spend most of my time cleaning off my plate and mixing more letterpress ink. Which means wasting ink if I'm only making a couple of coasters with each color. Normally when I commit to replenishing my letterpress stash, I'll stick to a couple of colors, to cut down on the cleaning process. There had to be an easier way.
I remembered over the holidays, I used some gold brilliance pigment ink to make my Christmas cards. The gold letterpress ink was a little too brown and dull for my liking. But I was really impressed with how the gold pigment ink turned out, especially how you could still see some shimmer on the imprint. And it was so easy to clean the deer head plate when I was done.
With the first batch of Color Theory inks out, I now have a rainbow of ink pads available to me. I thought it couldn't hurt to try them out with the letterpress coasters and confetti plate.
Simple + no-mess. Well, at least low-mess. I was sold, and grabbed a couple more colors.
So if you are looking for a fun way to brighten up your summer party, I've put together a step-by-step tutorial with photos and it's available for download hereLeave some pens out for your guests and have them sign the back of their coaster to make a little party guest book afterwards. The possibilities are endless.
Want more letterpress inspiration? There's still time to sign up for the June Studio Calico class, Letterpress 2.0. Still need to learn the basics? You can bundle in the original class that was offered last September and enroll in both classes here. Registration for both classes ends on May 31st.

Have fun!

Tutorial supplies used : confetti letterpress plate, letterpress coasters, Color Theory ink pads in Coral Bay, Sunny Day and Mint Hint, letterpressbundle, Cuttlebug or other manual die cutting machine, letterpress cleaning wipes

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of this letterpress tool before but what an amazing tool! Love the colorful coasters (and they are polkadots!!)

    ReplyDelete